Gay Adoption Campaign Explodes in California

February 4th, 2009 · 14 Comments

gay adoption

The gay community has squealed every which way ’til Tuesday about their so-called civil rights in California, and now the California adoption agencies are taking advantage of the charged climate to push their own agenda. Launching an aggressive billboard campaign, local agencies are now reaching out to the gay community, encouraging them to adopt children.

Proponents of the campaign say there are thousands of orphans in need of loving homes– and any kind of living arrangement will do. Opponents, of course, claim such a move only further threatens the traditional family values that are already under brutal attack by the No-on-8 folks and their supporters.

The ad campaign, called¬† “Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Family,” blatantly solicits members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (wait–transgender?? are they serious??) community to adopt children. Said Robyn Harrod of the Southern California Adoption Agency:

“They provide loving, stable and permanent homes for kids who need them. And, it makes absolutely no difference whether they are gay, straight, single, married … They just need to love kids and want to provide a home for them.”

The opposition sees it another way.  Ermias Alemayehu of the Brotherhood Organization of a New Destiny insists:

“Studies have indicated that kids raised in homosexual households, especially girls, tend to act out sexually, tend to be very promiscuous … and these kids are very confused about their identity. And we don’t think the state or the county should be in the business of promoting that kind of lifestyle.”

California is one of only four states that permit gay couple adoption. State officials are supporting the campaign as well, saying this is a chance for kids to get out of foster care and into families that want them.

What are they, puppies? No, scratch that. My friend went through the puppy-adoption process recently. Now those guys are strict! But I guess since kids are so much more valuable than dogs we should pass them out a lot more liberally so they’re all placed…somewhere.

The sobering truth, though, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is that 129,000 children await adoption from foster care. Officials say for those who don’t get adopted, the future is often grim. There’s no question that something needs to be done for these children. I’ll admit I don’t have the solution, but I do know that further destroying the sanctified family structure and compromising our society’s moral values isn’t it. Also the timing of this whole thing stinks. As Alemayehu said:

“This is another way to normalize the homosexual agenda. And the next thing will be to go after overturning Prop 8.”

Of course it is. If there’s one thing we’ve learned about the No-on-8 camp it’s, subtlety is never an issue. There are currently about 65,000 kids in the U.S. that have been adopted by gay couples. It will be interesting to see how this campaign affects that number and if, perhaps, the Supreme Court’s upholding of Prop 8 might not incite the gay community to fight back with a storm of adoptions… since they can still do that.

Then you have to accept them– they have kids!

• 1 queuno // Feb 4, 2009 at 4:14 am

Curious question – suppose a child adopted by gay parents grows up and joins the Church. Child can’t be sealed to his parents, correct?

• 2 David // Feb 4, 2009 at 5:27 am

Great question, and the answer’s obviously no. I never thought about how this screws up the whole sealing process until now. Thanks for the input.

• 3 cheryl // Feb 4, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Holy crap.

Now they are using children to get what they want? “Hey, I know we can’t get married, but maybe society will change their minds if we have kids! Yes! Let’s go get some kids!”
    I really hope the campaign is a flop. I seriously pray that the gay community will not stoop so low as to do something like this in full force JUST so they can stick it to the majority.

Sigh.

• 4 David // Feb 4, 2009 at 8:49 pm

Well, the logical question would be, why aren’t the agencies using that money to do such an adoption campaign for heterosexual couples?

• 5 Lulubelle // Feb 4, 2009 at 10:45 pm

OMG. Are you people kidding me? Do you have much experience with foster care? Do you really think that foster care (and being bumped from family to family to institution) is really better than being raised by two same-sex people? I’ve been to orphanges in Eastern Europe. Have you? Do you think it’s better that kids be parentless than have two loving, stable same-sex parents? Are you absolutely crazy? And what right do YOU holier than thous have to make that decision for kids who desperately need a normal home? OMG, your comments make me physically ill. There are loads of heterosexual parents who are FAR WORSE than some same-sex couples. I will grant you that a child in need of adoption should be given preferentially to a traditional family. But for many kids, no heterosexual couple WANTS THEM. Hello?? These arguments and fearmongering completely discredit the entire Yes On 8 effort. Ick. I am ashamed to share the same religion.

• 6 David // Feb 5, 2009 at 12:46 am

I’m sorry, Lulubelle, for prompting your outrage. I don’t agree that same-sex couples should adopt children, period. Children should have the chance to be raised by a father and a mother. It is truly unfortunate that children all over the world suffer without parents and I would hope more fathers and mothers would open their hearts and embrace these children.

• 7 Euripides // Feb 5, 2009 at 12:54 am

These folks aren’t supporting adoption by hetero parents precisely to drive the idea of gay adoption as socially normal or acceptable. It’s a shame they let politics get in the way of doing the right thing for these children.

• 8 cheryl // Feb 5, 2009 at 1:47 am

Lulubelle’s obvious anger is exactly what I don’t understand –especially if she is Mormon. Why?
    I tried to explain it to my SIL who was very upset about her gay Mormon friends in CA who felt like they were hated. She said they couldn’t stand to be in Church listening anymore. My question was this:

What the crap were they doing all these years, before Prop 8, that would make them think the Church would teach/preach/advocate anything different?
    Umm…hello?
    Every other week we talk about families, marriage, Temples, etc. etc. because that is central to the plan of God. For years now, the Prophets have spoken out in conference and in the Ensign about their opposition to gay marriage.
    How people are thinking that somehow there’s a loophole here and there is beyond me. Seriously, where have they been going to Church all this time? How can this possibly be a surprise? A shock? A slap in the face? It makes absolutely no sense to me.

And as for a loving gay couple raising children? I’m not buying it. The same reason I wouldn’t buy a single mother having 14 children without a father –or having one, period. Are there exceptions to the rules? Are there grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings, etc. raising children? Yes. But these are exceptions. Pretending that it’s “good enough” doesn’t do anyone any favors –least of all the kids.

This campaign isn’t about the kids. It’s about the gay agenda. Period.

• 9 Karron // Feb 5, 2009 at 4:19 am

Ditto on what David and Cheryl said. And I will add an Amen to that.

As for Lulubelle, she needs a reality check. Obviously she isn’t listening to anything that is being said in church. Language suggests she is probably a 20 something who has never lived out in the real world.

My heart breaks for those kids, and I am a grandparent who is raising the child of my murdered son, so I know all about the hoops that have to be negotiated to allow full custody to a non custodial parent. What really bugs me are the number of family members who are NOT willing to take in the children of their own siblings and such. Every time someone praises me for raising our Crystal, I get angry. What in heaven’s name did they think I should do, send her in to the system? Morons. But I have met more than one set of grandparents who couldn’t give up their cushy retirement to even spend time with grandchildren, let alone help raise them. People are selfish.

As for gays, well lets just say that they would be better off with a puppy than a child in most cases.

• 10 Journalista // Feb 5, 2009 at 9:24 am

I don’t like their slogan, “Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Family.” Sound like they are trying highjack the the whole inalienable rights thing. Well, gay adoption doesn’t really fall into that category. They may think they have a right to a child, but if a gay couple or a lesbian couple can not reproduce on their own, then that right seems to be out the window. Also, lest they forget that these children they are trying to adopt have rights also, a right to a married father and mother.

I heard you are friends with my blogger friend Euripides. I just wanted to come by and say hi! Thanks for the info.

• 11 David // Feb 5, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Excellent point, Journalista! How can you insist on being recognized as a family unit if you don’t have all the components to make a family?Again, it’s trying to cram that square peg in the round hole. Or like that great Far Side cartoon where the kid’s insistently pushing the door with the “Pull” sign on it at the School for Gifted Children. Oh– and welcome! Thanks for your thoughts.

Karron – It’s true, nothing breaks my heart more than seeing kids who aren’t wanted. I can understand why some may see gay couples as an answer to help these children find love, but what the other side refuses to acknowledge is the intrinsic, long-term damage to the child and society. I think rather than worry about how much CEO’s are getting paid, more national focus should be paid to finding real homes for these kids. Otherwise, our society doesn’t deserve to remain intact.

cheryl – I know, sometimes even members get so caught up in the temporal perspective, they lose the eternal one. Don’t mess with God’s plan!

• 12 jessica // Feb 10, 2009 at 5:51 pm

To comment on journalista, not all children have the intention to want “a married father and mother,” all they want is a family that can love them as there own. And if gays and lesbians can provide that, then let them.

Everybody here who thinks it’s “God’s plan” to not even have gays in this world we live in, then why did he create them in the first place?

Also, some of you tend to give a negative connotation that “it’s just another plan for ‘the gays.’” Get it right. They want the same rights as anyone else. Including being able to get married and adopting children.

People are people and they should be treated as such. There shouldn’t be rights against what certain people can and cannot do. Is it so wrong for a pair of loved ones to have a family? That’s exactly what heteros do. So stop preaching to the choir and accept it.

Gays and lesbians are all around you and they want the same things you do. A happy life.

• 13 Peter // Apr 24, 2009 at 2:47 am

Karron, it is interesting how you state that people are selfish when you defend such a selfish opinnion based on the idea that only hetero people should be able to raise kids.
    According to your situation you must know how the adoption system works, at least you know you wouldn’t be pleased to see your Crystal to experience such. Well, all those kids who are in the system are desperate to find someone who wants them and willing to give them love. It is love that they need, any kind of love, not only straight love. Gay parents are perfectly capable to create a child, they are no different from any other human being. Gay people have values, ideals and a conscious that make them capable of more than taking care of a puppy.
    It is better for a child to grow up parentless instead of growing with gay or lesbian couples?

Stop with prejudice and help this world to turn into a better one.

• 14 Robert // May 7, 2009 at 6:52 pm

I am a person of faith and raised catholic from the go. I’m also an individual who adopted a child from a foreign country where he most likely wouldn’t have survived long enough to reach the age of 4. A child that was born to a heterosexual couple whose business is to have kids and sell them. I was told at the time that my son has another 11 brothers and sisters, not sure where the rest are, but I am happy to say that at least I know that my partner and I were able to change this child’s life and are giving him a future by bringing him into this country and providing him with a loving and stabble household that just happens to be constituted by two fathers.

I do not have any political agendas but I wouldn’t deny that it would be not only nice but life would also be much easier for many if certain rights were available, but in the end, my biggest concern is that my son grows up to be a good man.

I do not know if this is the so called “God’s plan” or not, I do know however that I am not arrogant enough to be able to assure someone what that plan really is. In any case, whatever that so called plan might be only time will be able to tell if it worked or not, unfortunatelly for most of these kids that people are apparently so concerned about in this website, time is a luxury among many others that they lack.

Faiths are full of what I like to call “Church fillers”, people that show up Sunday after Sunday to be seen at churches, temples or wherever building their faith utilizes and they love to fill their mouths with passeges from the bible, Qur’an or whatever text book their faith follows; but in the great mayority of the cases, no true actions are ever get put in place out of those pretty phases.