25 Random Things

February 4th, 2009 · 8 Comments

facebook

I was recently invited on Facebook to write down 25 random things about myself and then send them to 25 friends with the instruction to do the same.¬†Sort of a “pay-it-forward” kind of a thing. Well, it was an interesting enough exercise that I went for it, and by the time I was done, there were a few times where I surprised myself. I also learned that 25 was a perfect number because, any less and you wouldn’t get the chance to dig under the topsoil of your psyche, and any more you’d start putting down stuff you’d regret in the morning.

So, without further ado, here are the 25 things I came up with:

1. Even though I was born in New York and spent most of my life in Los Angeles, I consider myself a Utahn.

2. I started dating when I was 14, but didn’t have a steady girlfriend until I was 21.

3. I think I’m a decent writer but a horrible conversationalist.

4. I have a recurring dream where I’m sent back on another mission to North Carolina, away from my wife and daughter for two years.

5. I find parenting to be a lot easier than marriage.

6. Even after 32 years of abstinence, I still miss the taste of alcohol.

7. I miss the Cold War.

8. I’m really bad about crying during movies.

9. I’m an Amazon.com addict. There, I said it.

10. I want to start writing teen-genre fiction.

11. My first obsession was Peanuts paperbacks.

12. My favorite foods are steak, hamburgers, cheese, pizza, all shellfish, chocolate and sushi– and my doctor says I can’t have any but one of them anymore, for the rest of my life.

13. I’ve been sealed to three women at the same time.

14. The last time I loved my job was 10 years ago.

15. I regret never trying marijuana before I became a Mormon.

16. Most of the time I prefer Alone Time to being around others.

17. I took a year of Hebrew in college, never used it again and promptly lost it, except for a few words.

18. I ran in three marathons and finished two– my knee started acting up on the third and I quit at Mile Ten.

19. I enjoy the atmosphere of Irish pubs.

20. I’ve always had a thing for redheads.

21. I’ve never enjoyed a murder mystery written by a woman.

22. I am fond of guns and am saving up for a .45 or a 9mm.

23. I love to make people laugh but usually can’t remember the next day what I said or did to cause it.

24. Nothing is above irreverence for me except God.

25. I have a low tolerance for bad spelling and feel like a jerk about it.

• 1 cheryl // Feb 5, 2009 at 1:48 am

Okay, dish: Which three women?

And which food can you still eat?

• 2 Karron // Feb 5, 2009 at 4:22 am

His mother, his wife, his daughter? grandmother, mother, aunt?

Fish?

Hey Dave, I am on facebook too. Look me up. I did the 25 things too. Tempted to post them here, but that would be tacky.

• 3 David // Feb 5, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Karron,

By all means, post your 25 things!

The food is sushi.

The women, well…

• 4 Karron // Feb 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm

Ok, here goes.

1. I would rather read a book than talk to people.
    2. I don’t like sitting in the dark.
    3. I am fascinated by forensic science, even if it does gross me out sometimes.
    4. I have always wanted to be an artist, but can’t draw a straight line.
    5. I used to sing all the time.
    6. I love to talk to elderly people and hear their life stories.
    7. I am very opinionated, and love a good debate.
    8. I like to listen to children laugh.
    9. I am still in love with my husband of 37 years.
    10. My greatest fear is losing a child or grandchild.
    11. I have a terrible temper.
    12. I am very sarcastic when my feelings get hurt.
    13. I don’t trust people very much.
    14. I am loyal to my friends,
    15. My family comes first.
    16. Nature is healing to me, I love to listen to the water and the wind flowing around me.
    17. I think the most beautiful city in the world is Venice, Italy.
    18. I am fascinated by ancient history.
    19. I love to dance.
    20. Travel is in my blood. Gotta go somewhere and discover something new every year.
    21. I love horses, can’t ride any longer, but I love being around them.
    22. My children and grandchildren give me purpose.
    23. I love to cook.
    24. I have very high walls around my heart, so I don’t get hurt by others.
    25. I would be a permanent student at university if I could afford it.

• 5 xoxoxoxo // Feb 7, 2009 at 1:20 am

David-
    #13 Polygamist!!!
    #19 Ditto
    #20 Most men do. They can’t help themselves.

Karron,

Agree TOTALLY with your 1,3,4,6,7,10, 11, 12, 16, 18, 20 (wish I could afford to do it more)

• 6 Karron // Feb 8, 2009 at 2:54 am

So, XOXOXO, what are your 25 things?

• 7 xoxoxoxo // Feb 17, 2009 at 4:30 am

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh. Ok….let me see….

1. I usually avoid filling out “random” questionnaires about myself online.

2. I secretly resent my DH’s allergy to cats because I want one.

3. I was voted female “class clown” in both Jr. High and High School.

4. I like to take things apart and put them back together-except for relationships.

5. Given the chance I would move to Tuscany without a second thought.

6. I love archeology and spent my teen years dreaming about being Idaho Jones.

7. I have a strangely powerful fascination with places like Stonehenge, Petra, Rosslyn Chapel and 2012.

8. I actually love the sound of bagpipes.

9. Certain visual patterns (like honeycomb) drive me nuts.

10. I used to work closely with an Olympic athlete, a millionaire and a former Miss America.

11. An couple of Australian writers used screen shots of my dialog in a book they published on how to use IRC (Internet Relay Chat) in the early 90′s.

12. I’ve saving up for a .38 special with a laser sight.

13. I’m learning Hebrew.

14. I love the sound of wind in Cottonwood trees.

15. Deep Note is one of my favorite things ever. Gives me goosebumps every time.

16. I want to be embalmed with hot fudge.

17. I love penguins.

18. It’s been suggested more than once that I might be the illegitimate love child of Dr. Seuss and Erma Bombeck.

19. I want to restore classic cars when I retire.

20. I hate…let me repeat that….HATE scrapbooking.

21. I’d love to write a book someday.

22. I can make up instant limericks on just about anything.

23. Teaching myself something new or researching something new is my drug of choice and the internet is my crack pipe.

24. I miss Freddie Mercury.

25. I’m allergic to pine trees.

• 8 David // Feb 18, 2009 at 2:52 am

Karron,

#3 – Miss D wants to be a forensic scientist. The way she’s acing math and science, she’ll probably get her way.

#24 – Yeah, me too.

xoxoxoxo,

#3 – Ditto. But male.

#8 – Also ditto. In fact this Friday I’m going to the Dropkick Murphys concert. They’re a punk band that utilizes the pan pipes, accordian and… wait for it… bagpipes!

#12 – Happiness is a warm gun (bang bang shoot shoot)

#18 – Erma Bombeck was the object of much ridicule among us snobby humorous readers on the Brighton High drama team.

#22 – We must spar.

#24 – So does Miss D, which is so bizarre because she wasn’t even born when he left us.