I was recently invited on Facebook to write down 25 random things about myself and then send them to 25 friends with the instruction to do the same. Sort of a “pay-it-forward” kind of a thing. Well, it was an interesting enough exercise that I went for it, and by the time I was done, there were a few times where I surprised myself. I also learned that 25 was a perfect number because, any less and you wouldn’t get the chance to dig under the topsoil of your psyche, and any more you’d start putting down stuff you’d regret in the morning.
So, without further ado, here are the 25 things I came up with:
1. Even though I was born in New York and spent most of my life in Los Angeles, I consider myself a Utahn.
2. I started dating when I was 14, but didn’t have a steady girlfriend until I was 21.
3. I think I’m a decent writer but a horrible conversationalist.
4. I have a recurring dream where I’m sent back on another mission to North Carolina, away from my wife and daughter for two years.
5. I find parenting to be a lot easier than marriage.
6. Even after 32 years of abstinence, I still miss the taste of alcohol.
7. I miss the Cold War.
8. I’m really bad about crying during movies.
9. I’m an Amazon.com addict. There, I said it.
10. I want to start writing teen-genre fiction.
11. My first obsession was Peanuts paperbacks.
12. My favorite foods are steak, hamburgers, cheese, pizza, all shellfish, chocolate and sushi– and my doctor says I can’t have any but one of them anymore, for the rest of my life.
13. I’ve been sealed to three women at the same time.
14. The last time I loved my job was 10 years ago.
15. I regret never trying marijuana before I became a Mormon.
16. Most of the time I prefer Alone Time to being around others.
17. I took a year of Hebrew in college, never used it again and promptly lost it, except for a few words.
18. I ran in three marathons and finished two– my knee started acting up on the third and I quit at Mile Ten.
19. I enjoy the atmosphere of Irish pubs.
20. I’ve always had a thing for redheads.
21. I’ve never enjoyed a murder mystery written by a woman.
22. I am fond of guns and am saving up for a .45 or a 9mm.
23. I love to make people laugh but usually can’t remember the next day what I said or did to cause it.
24. Nothing is above irreverence for me except God.
25. I have a low tolerance for bad spelling and feel like a jerk about it.